- Name: Dr. Zafar Iqbal (Tamgha-e-Imtiaz)
- Born: Mardan, Pakistan
- Nationality: Pakistan
- Institutional Affiliation: Meritorious Professor
Department of Pharmacy, Chairman Pharmacy, University of Peshawar
- Alma Mater: Ph.D. Dept. of Pharma.Sci. University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, Post.doc. Pharma. Sci. Institute of Pharmacy and Biomed. Science, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow. U.K.
Mr. Ashfaq Ahmed Paracha was a banker by profession with vast international exposure. While living in Peshawar, he got interested in setting up a pharmaceutical plant in KP. He had zero knowledge about pharmaceuticals. However, he was driven by the high spirit to serve the country with economical and affordable drugs supply. Another lesson that he learned from his global exposure was that university scientists can help him to set up his dream unit of pharmaceuticals. This belief brought him to the University of Peshawar where he met Dr. Zafar Iqbal, an entrepreneurial scientist serving the Pharmacy Department. His contributions are in the development of pharmaceutical industry.
Dr. Zafar Iqbal has been In-charge of Research in Sibro Pharma Ltd. Nowshera, Production In-charge at Redex Drug House Labs., Faisalabad, and Head, Production & Quality in Wellcome Pakistan, Karachi. He set up many laboratories for pharmaceutical industries and helped many industries for drug registration. His research group developed two fast released ant-emetic formulations and these are patented research products in Pakistan. He has applied for 4 other patents.
Research and Development
The university-industry collaboration took birth between the Pharmacy Department, University of Peshawar and Delta Pharma. Dr. Zafar took it as a challenge to convert his science into economical drugs for the community. He identified, formulated and set up production with high quality and assured compliance with local and international standards. Delta Pharma, which has been running successfully, was the outcome of the entrepreneurial approach of Dr. Zafar Iqbal. The project was successfully completed with support and trust of a businessman on the university research skills.
This is not the single case of the entrepreneurial zeal of Dr. Zafar. He served many other industries, set up quality labs, designed production process and helped industries for drug registration. He is the scientist equally known to academia and industry with patents, publication and production consultancy to his credit.
- Ph.D. and Post Doc. from Dept. of Pharma Science University of
- Strathclyde, Glasgow, U.K.
- He has 135 research paper publications to his credit
- Supervised more than 30 MS and PhD theses
- Chief Editor of a journal and member editorial board of more than 10 journals.
- Won and managed funded projects worth millions (PKR).
- He organized five conferences and contributed chapters in two books
He got two patents in Pakistan